As part of ADHD awareness month, I have been posting ADHD facts regularly on Facebook. More than once I have been asked if I could back up my facts with studies and data. For some of these facts, I was able to find data; others I only have videos or articles by experts. I hope you find this information helpful. Please consider following the links and looking into the sources yourself.
An educated parent is better able to help their child.
1. ADHD is the most treatable condition in psychiatry, and yet 40% of ADHD children and 90% of ADHD adults are not recognized and treated for their ADHD meaning that the issue is under-treatment, not over-treatment. [source]
2. 80% of people with ADHD will be on medications at some point in their life which is a good thing because ADHD is a neurogenetic disorder and ADHD medication is an effective, proven neurogenetic therapy making medication completely justifiable. [source]
3. Less than 20% of adults with ADHD have been diagnosed and treated.
4. Approximately 2 million children in the USA have ADHD which means that in a classroom of 30 children, at least one will have ADHD. [source]
5. Only 50% of young children with ADHD are receiving services for their ADHD. [source]
6. At least 50% of ADHD children have a comorbidity or additional psychiatric condition. [source]
7. About 80% of ADHD patients respond positively to the medication. [source]
8. When ADHD people use stimulant medication it lessens the likelihood that they’ll abuse drugs and alcohol not increases it. [source]
9. ADHD people often use drugs and alcohol as self-medication which would likely be reduced if they were medicated properly. [source]
For my ADHD boys, I think Fruit Ninja on the Kinect was the best exercise program of anything we tried.
11. 50% of ADHD people who take medication are completely normalized meaning that the medication allows them to function like a neurotypical person. [source]
12. 50% of children with ADHD also have a learning disability. [source]
I hope you find this information helpful!
You can download the printable PDF of this image here: ADHD Statistics That Parents Should Be Aware Of.
You can also download a pdf worksheet to evaluate if your child’s ADHD treatment is helping his or her symptoms here.
If you found this information helpful, I would be honored if you would subscribe to my blog or follow my Facebook page.
PS If you enjoyed this post, there are many other posts on my blog about ADHD such as:
DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A DOCTOR or mental health professional. I cannot diagnose your child or offer you medical advice. A lot of the ADHD information on this blog comes from Dr. Russell Barkley’s videos –many of which are available on YouTube. There are many links in this post to more information about these topics, but since I AM NOT A SCIENTIST or a researcher, I am unable to provide you with double-blind study reports. I am just a writer and artist making articles and graphics based on information I have seen and read from ADHD professionals in an effort to raise ADHD awareness. I encourage you to look into these ideas yourself and follow the links provided. You can see more of those videos from Dr. Barkley at the bottom of this post.